Current and new members register for one year, after which membership has to be renewed on an annual basis. The membership year is from 1 January to 31 December. Use one of the following methods to become a member or to renew your membership.
Watch a short video clip on how to renew your membership online.
Renew by send your membership form by fax or email
Print, complete and fax or email one of the following:
2019 Early Bird Membership Forms
- Individual Membership 2019 (Early Bird) – From 8 October 2018 – 31 December 2018
- Institutional Membership 2019 (Early Bird) – From 8 October 2018 – 31 December 2018
2019 Membership Forms
- Individual Membership 2019: 1 January 2019 – 31 December 2019
- Institutional Membership 2019: 1 January 2019 – 31 December 2019
Please scroll down for membership fees & benefits.
Individual Membership 2018
|South African Individual||ZAR 580-00|
|SA Full Time Students**||ZAR 290-00|
|SA Interns||ZAR 290-00|
|SA Pensioners||ZAR 290-00|
|SA Unemployed||ZAR 290-00|
|SA Volunteer||ZAR 290-00|
|African Individuals||ZAR 870-00|
|International Individuals||ZAR 870-00|
** LIASA Constitution, Rule 220.127.116.11
Student membership shall be accorded to students in tertiary institutions who are not gainfully employed and who are pursuing any academic or professional programme that may eventually qualify such a student as a librarian or information worker.
Membership entitles you to:
- LIASA has professional body status;
- Regular communication via the listserv LIASAOnline and SMS service;
- Four issues of LIASA-in-Touch, our information-filled magazine for the LIS professional;
- Access to the South African Journal for Library and Information Science, the academic and accredited professional journal;
- Access to LIASA professional online tools, to be used by new generation librarians in the transformation of libraries and library services in a dynamic and increasingly global digital information environment. These cutting edge tools are freely available and include LIASA Webinar, LIASA Events and LIASA Survey;
- Discounted rates for meetings, workshops, seminars and the annual conference;
- Discounted rates for training sessions, courses and workshops;
- Eligibility for the various prestigious LIASA awards;
- Eligibility for grants, scholarships or other financial support opportunities;
- Eligibility to attend the IFLA Conference on the IFLA membership rate;
- Eligibility to serve on branch, interest group and other LIASA committees;
- Membership of your local branch and access to all its activities at discounted rates;
- Membership of two Interest Groups of your choice and access to its activities;
- Opportunity to develop your leadership and professional skills, learning best practice from others; and
- Networking, and more networking! Experience what it feels like to belong to a community that is passionate about the library profession in South Africa, and network with the who’s who in LIS – nationally & internationally!
Institutional Membership 2017
|South African Institution||ZAR 2 900-00|
|African Institution||ZAR 2 900-00|
|International Institution||ZAR 2 900-00|
The above gives your institution access to the following benefits:
- A paid-up institutional member may register up to five (5) of its employees for the Annual Conference at the rate applicable to an individual member;
- Institutional members are entitled to discount advertising in LIASA-In-Touch;
- LIASA provides online communication through its listserv LIASA Online and its website;
- The member institution is entitled to send one representative to the AGM and that individual may vote on behalf of the institutional member; and
- Institutional members are entitled to receive the LIASA-in-Touch.